Investment Analyst Intern Position
Investment Analyst Position
The Investment analyst will help the team identify and evaluate early stage FinTech companies. The investment analyst will participate with the team in the data and financial analysis, due diligence, and the deal write ups for the investment committee.
Vestigo Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts that invests in technology companies focused on financial services. We are distinguished by our deep financial industry expertise, exclusive access to the team and technology at Cogo Labs, powerful network of advisors and proven record as investors and operators. These advantages position us to successfully target the next generation of disruptive FinTech companies.
Vestigo is attracting and investing in FinTech entrepreneurs who are creating innovative companies that align with four core strategic themes:
- Market Structures (e.g., financial markets, risk analysis, trading, crypto finance)
- Operations Solutions (e.g., front, middle, and back office, regtech, block chain)
- Worksite Management (e.g., companies and the gig economy, insurtech)
- Personal Wealth (e.g., investment products, financial planning, behavioral finance)
- Data Analysis: Our mission is to find the “best of the best” Fintech companies for our investors. You will use your analytical and “nimble” thinking with your SQL skills. You will apply your query skills as you access Apollo, Minerva and Quake which are the proprietary data tools used with Cogo Labs. Your work will result in new data insights, game changing research with the potential to uncover opportunities.
- Portfolio updates and analysis: Using SQL queries and our Quake tool, you will provide ongoing market and competitive analysis to engage and inform the Vestigo Team, Strategic Limited Partners and Portfolio Companies. Working across the Vestigo four core strategic themes, you will create detailed data dashboards that uncover the competitive landscape. These reports will be provided and communicated to Vestigo, Strategic Limited Partners, and entrepreneurs, helping these constituents to think critically and navigate the competitive landscape.
- Deal Sourcing: As a member of the team, you will participate in developing networks and relationships that establish deal flow while building the company brand as a premier venture capital resource. You will have opportunities to participate in FinTech events in the startup eco system.
- Investor Communications: We want our investors and portfolio companies to be informed, equipped and excited about our work. We will show our prospective investors why it is smart to do business with us and remind our customers at every opportunity why they made a great decision to invest. Working with the Managing Director, General Partners and Limited Partners, you will assist in creating a culture of transparency, engagement, and fun. This will include but not be limited to: investor and portfolio company events to be held on a periodic basis, creating communications, supporting our social media, and thought leadership to drive our unique culture and share our insights.
- Assist General Partner with ad hoc projects related to other businesses in his portfolio.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field that requires deep analytical thinking and problem solving. Many of us have Math, Econ, Finance, or Engineering backgrounds, but applications from all quantitative fields are welcome.
- Experience with SQL and Python.
- Strong quantitative skills to be used in modeling, and reporting activities are important.
- The ability to make a strong case when presenting findings and recommendations, while remaining receptive to feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Passions and interests outside of work – you aren’t just your resume.
Position Insights for the successful candidate:
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility and self-motivation, and learning agility are key skills to allow this person to excel in a fast changing and fluid business environment.
- Focused on results: Biased for action; focused on specific goals and resistant to distraction.
- Enthusiastic: Passionate about work; brings a can-do attitude to all activities.
- Articulate: Clearly states project missions, update, decisions, and rationales verbally and in writing.
- Analytically minded: Data-driven; believes in the value of making decisions on the basis of rigorous, empirical processes.
- Organized: Capable of categorizing complex projects into its digestible, surmountable part.
- Transparent: Makes work and progress clear to outside observers without politics or distortion of the underlying data.
- Open to Feedback: Actively asks for advice; eager to receive performance feedback and responds positively to suggestions and constructive criticism.
- Supportive: Actively helps fellow team members and treats them with respect and kindness.
- Flexible: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; enjoys working in and thrives in a rapidly changing environment.
- Hard-working: Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes to work long hours to get the job done.
- Self-reflective: Considers work in the context of the entire organization; thinks about self-improvement.